Practice stress management to improve physical and mental health
Stress management is an essential skill for better mental and physical health. Our Round Rock obgyns discuss stress with patients at their annual well woman exam. Although some stress is inevitable, chronic stress can cause health issues that affect a woman’s quality of life.
Signs that you may need to practice stress management
Most women are aware of their stress, but they may fail to practice stress management. Other women deny that stress is affecting them, assuming that everyone feels the same way. Here are some signs and symptoms that it’s time to ask for help in dealing with stress.
- Overeating or not eating enough
- Feeling like you have no control
- Clenched jaw
- Teeth grinding
- Inability to focus
- Lack of energy
- Stomach problems
- Neck, back or muscle spasms or pain
- Loss of interest in sex
- Feelings of sadness, anxiety or mood swings
How stress affects women’s health
Stress management is vital because stress adversely affects women’s health in several ways. Here are some of the problems that chronic stress can cause:
- Obesity or eating disorders
- Heart disease or heart problems
- Irregular periods
- Sexual dysfunction
- Rashes or acne
- Irritable bowel syndrome or ulcerative colitis
- High blood pressure
Managing your stress
Our Round Rock obgyns are interested in women’s wellness, including stress management. Our physicians are always available to discuss the factors that contribute to increased stress levels in patients and talk about solutions to improve quality of life. Here are ways to manage stress:
- Relaxation techniques. Women can engage in mindfulness meditation, practice yoga or see a massage therapist. It’s also helpful for women to take time for themselves to participate in hobbies and fun activities.
- Self-care is important. Women have a tendency to neglect themselves on many fronts. It’s important to get good sleep, ideally seven to nine hours. A balanced diet also helps with stress management because it provides women with energy. Exercise is another excellent way to manage stress.
- Connecting with family and friends provides vital emotional support. Women may feel like isolating themselves when they feel stressed, but it’s important to maintain relationships with loved ones and stay involved in the community.
Women’s wellness encompasses many areas of health, including stress management. Our Round Rock obgyns care about every aspect of our patients’ care. Women looking for a healthcare partnership where compassionate care is the norm should contact us for an appointment.