Take charge of your health by scheduling your well woman exam
At Oakwood Women’s Centre at Seton Williamson, our compassionate and caring OBGYNs want to build relationships with our patients that lead to a lifetime of good health. From first adolescent visits through the reproductive years and into menopause management, optimizing your health and wellness at every stage of life with care that is responsive and preventive is our priority.
The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) recommends women see their OBGYN annually for a well woman exam, beginning at age 13 to 15*. Taking one day out of your life each year to focus on your health is an important step toward keeping yourself healthy now and in the future.
A well woman exam helps ensure a lifetime of good health
Your annual well woman exam is the opportunity for you to have a wellness checkup and the perfect time to discuss any questions or concerns you may have about your health. Our knowledgeable Round Rock OBGYNs will perform an overall assessment of your health, provide you with the latest medical information, and make a preventive plan to address any issues or long-term health goals.
Being proactive about your health allows our experienced team of Round Rock OBGYNs to identify potential health problems early, when they are easier to treat and manage, and before they become life-threatening. Taking charge of your health can also help you establish good habits that can help ensure a lifetime of good health.
A well woman exam allows you to address issues pertinent at every age
Women experience different issues at different ages. That’s why scheduling your well woman exam annually is so important. Doing so allows you and your OBGYN to address every health issue you may face in a timely manner and to build a long-term relationship in the process. Among the many pertinent health issues, screenings or exams our experienced team of Round Rock OBGYNs may discuss with you or perform during your well woman exam include:
- Health habits, nutrition, and exercise
- Changes in family health history
- Pelvic exams (ages 19 – 20 years when indicated by medical history; age 21 or older, periodic exams)
- Pap smears for cervical cancer screening
- Sex, sexuality, and sexually transmitted diseases
- Menstrual and reproductive health
- Preconception planning
- Folic acid supplementation and calcium intake
- Clinical breast exams and breast self-awareness
- Mammograms at age 40 or earlier if certain risk factors are present
- Menopause management
- Bone density testing
- Urinary tract health and incontinence issues
- Blood tests to determine cholesterol levels and rule out thyroid issues
- Stress management
- Drug, alcohol, and tobacco use
- Depression or domestic violence
Preventive care is empowering. Make a plan for a lifetime of good health. Contact our Round Rock OBGYN team today to schedule your annual well woman exam with one of our OBGYNs – Dr. Beth Thai, Dr. Rebecca Teng or Dr. Brenda Chao.
*Pelvic exams do not begin at this age unless specific circumstances exist.