Our Round Rock obgyns offer guidance – Getting Pregnant 101
Our Round Rock obgyns believe it’s important to provide women with a guide to getting pregnant, a resource that explains ovulation and other factors involved in the process to optimize natural fertility.
Ovulation occurs when one of your ovaries releases a mature egg. Normally, this happens each month. The mature egg can be fertilized by the male’s sperm for approximately 12 to 24 hours after it is released by the ovary.
Determining when you are ovulating is an important part of getting pregnant
Knowing when you ovulate helps you determine when your fertile window occurs. This is a basic step in getting pregnant. A woman’s fertile window is 3-5 days prior to – and the day of – ovulation. We usually recommend having sex every other day for six days leading up to ovulation. In a 28-day menstrual cycle, a woman typically ovulates approximately 14 days after her period began. Ovulation varies, depending on the length of your cycle.
There are a variety of ways to determine when ovulation occurs.
- Monitoring cervical mucus is a simple, helpful tool for getting pregnant. When your mucus secretions become clear, plentiful and slippery, it signals ovulation is about to occur.
- Ovulation predictor kits measure levels of luteinizing hormone (LH) in the urine. When LH surges, this indicates that ovulation has occurred. Newer methods use saliva to detect ovulation.
What you need to know about the timing of sexual intercourse
For getting pregnant, our Round Rock obgyns recommend having intercourse every one to two days during the fertile window. Here are a few do’s and don’ts to remember.
- Do not abstain from sex for long periods of time as this hurts sperm production.
- Do not be concerned about which sexual position you use.
- Be careful which lubricants you use. Astroglide, saliva, olive oil and KY jelly may affect sperm’s movement, or motility. We recommend mineral or canola oil or Pre-Seed brand lubricants.
Tips for optimizing your natural fertility
There are a few things you can do to optimize your natural fertility, helping your chances of getting pregnant.
- Do not smoke.
- Avoid alcoholic drinks.
- Cut back on caffeine, limiting intake to 200 to 300 milligrams/day.
- Avoid strenuous exercise, but moderate exercise is fine.
- Try to get to your optimal weight by eating a healthy diet and exercising.
- Avoid toxins and endocrine disruptors, chemicals found in products or in the workplace.
Getting pregnant doesn’t happen in the first or second month of trying for many women. If you are worried about your fertility, consult our Round Rock obgyns after one year of unprotected intercourse if you are age 35 and younger, or after six months if you are age 35 or over.