Adolescent gynecology visits begin a lifetime of women’s healthcare
Adolescent gynecology focuses on caring for young women as they mature physically and mentally into adults. Our Round Rock obgyns, in conjunction with the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG), recommend the ages of 13 to 15 as the ideal time for a first visit to the gynecologist. This is the ideal age since most young women begin to menstruate between the ages of 12 and 14.
Why is adolescent gynecology important?
Some people think adolescent gynecology is for young women who have health issues, but it’s really about the whole person, whether the young woman is healthy or has health issues. Our Round Rock obgyns cover three important areas during each visit.
- Questions and answers – We’re here to answer questions about your body and the changes you experience, your emotional life, your social life and your sexuality—all in a calm, compassionate manner.
- Problem prevention – During an adolescent gynecology visit, we may discuss everything from STI’s, or sexually transmitted infections, to recreational drug use and maintaining a healthy weight and BMI.
- Treating health issues – We treat any physical problems that may arise, such as menstrual issues, vaginal infections or cysts.
Getting to know you
An important part of adolescent gynecology is the relationship between our Round Rock obgyns and our young patients. We need to have an open, honest discussion about many issues, including sexual history; recreational drug use, alcohol or other risky behaviors; social concerns; menstrual cycle patterns; and any other areas of concern.
Whether young women are already sexually active or just curious about their sexuality, we’re open to any and all questions. We need to know a few things, too, during your adolescent gynecology appointment to help you protect your health and future fertility.
- Whether or not you have had any type of sexual activity—vaginal, anal or oral
- Whether or not you have had unprotected sex
- Whether or not you have had multiple sexual partners
We care about your health as a whole, and that includes your mental health and lifestyle issues that impact your well being. It’s important for young women to talk with us about problems they are encountering in their daily life.
- Body image issues
- Depression and anxiety
- Social bullying
- Dating violence
Adolescent gynecology is a vital part of women’s healthcare, and an important start to a lifetime of good health. Our Round Rock obgyns are here for you, helping you to navigate the rough waters of adolescence during junior high, high school and college. Contact us for an appointment today.